If you are thinking of refurbishing your office with daydreams of more space, nicer cubby holes, and greater light, it can soon start to feel a bit like a nightmare. Where do you begin? How much time and energy should you put into this when you should be focusing your attention on your business itself?
A turnkey fitout could be the solution for you, but for those who haven’t heard of it, or would like more information, here are some of the pros and cons of this strategy to help you decide if it is the right fit for you.
What is a turnkey fitout?
A turnkey fitout is, quite simply, the easiest and least involved type of office refurbishment. The premise is that you hire a contractor, tell them what you want, and they deliver a finished product ready for you to head inside and start working right away.
This is opposed to an existing fitout, where you would move into an office and simply deal with what is there already, perhaps rather worn or unsuited to your style. If you want more of your own personality on space, or prefer more up-to-date fittings and furnishing, then this may not be the right choice for you.
Another option is a speculative, or spec, fitout, where the landlord builds the office and furnishes it ready for you. If you want to get straight to work this can be a good choice, and it can help prospective clients to see the office all ready to go so they can picture their team at work inside, but again if you have particular ideas about what you want then this can be a poor substitute.
With a turnkey fitout, your contractor will be responsible for everything from the wiring and plumbing through to the desks and paint scheme that you want, giving you full control without having to do anything yourself.
Why is it called a turnkey fitout?
The name turnkey comes from the idea that all you have to do is turn the key to start up whatever it is that you wish to start. It was used in reference to lighting new electric lamps over 100 years ago, showing that it is a job that only needs to be done once.
Turnkey solutions are sometimes thought to be synonymous with pre-built, off-the-shelf solutions, but that by no means excludes the fact that they can be customised. In technology terms, and with products like computers, a turnkey option is one that has been pre-packaged and not specifically chosen.
In terms of office refurbishment, it is quite the opposite in that you have complete control over how it is done. The main point is that the contractor takes care of everything so that when you arrive and turn the key to the door, you can walk right in and get started.
What are the advantages of turnkey fitouts?
There are a great many benefits to choosing a turnkey fitout over the other options available, as well as several reasons to go another way. Take a look at some of the advantages of this choice and see if it is the right solution for your refurbishing needs:
- You get to personalise your space – if you choose an existing or spec fitout, you are stuck with other peoples’ choices instead of your own. It’s your office, style it your way.
- Everything is completed before you move in – instead of moving into an office and then deciding that this and that may need doing, you are going to walk in and find everything done for you.
- Everything is done to your exact specifications – if you have any specifics in mind for your workspace, getting a turnkey fitout is the best way to ensure that they will be met. If you choose a company like Alpha C&P Fitouts in Gold Coast they will do everything from the ceilings to the floors just the way you want it.
- Everything is handled by one company – one of the issues with refurbishing your office piecemeal is that you may have to wait for the plumbers to finish, which can cause delays and added expense for your plasterers and so on. By choosing a turnkey fitout you will deal with one contractor who will get the job done.
- The budget is agreed upon beforehand – another problem with other types of refurbishment is that the costs can spiral out of control. A turnkey fitout is all worked out and agreed upon so you know exactly what you are spending.
- Once it is done you won’t have to worry about it again – with other types of fitout, you may think you are ok with your office, and then constantly find yourself changing this or that, working to improve your space and wasting valuable time and energy. It is far better to have it all done, and done right, from the start.
What are the disadvantages of turnkey fitouts?
Much like with anything in life, turnkey fitouts do have their disadvantages that should be taken into account as well. Here are the main ones for you to consider:
- It can cost a lot more than other options – if you just take the existing fitout, in the short term at least it will cost you a lot less. This may change in the longer term, however, so think about how long you will stay in one place before you decide.
- It is dependent on trust – to reap many of the benefits of a turnkey refurbishment you must have complete faith in your contractor to deliver what you have asked for. That is why it is so important to go with a reputable company.
- You have to know what you want beforehand – you must have a complete idea of what you want to achieve and what the final space should look like, otherwise, the contractor will not be able to deliver it.
While there are several fitout options for you to choose from when looking at a new office space, a turnkey fitout is the only real choice to showcase your own tastes and style and ensure that everything is done right, and completed before you turn the key and walk in.
Get thinking about what it is that you really want out of your office, and consider checking out a turnkey fitout today.